pur logo

pur logo

Monday, May 21, 2012

GUMMO ON TOP!

    So last week... I had the pleasure of attending the ‘Gummo’ release party/birthday bash for GHGH members Pinpoint and TayLand as well as vetern Baltimore hip hop head/artist Bishop. Being as though everyone in the scene has some sort of concert/party for their birthday, which to be honest gets kinda old real fast, I will tell you this…this event right here….was way more than just a regular ‘showcase’ of local talent. The crowd was definitely live as all hell, the acts were on point, dj killed it…..all out nice event. But of course I must go in a little bit on some things that kinda upset me. (Ill play nice….well..my version of nice lol)

 
    Due to my work schedule (FML just thinking about it UGH) I missed most of the first act, DINO, but I will say as soon as I heard his voice….I thought our good ole friend Proffit was rocking the stage. LOL But as new artists to my ears, he got a reasonable rating from me. I am just not for the yelling and screaming into the mic. I DON’T CARE HOW HYPE YA GET HOMIE! But still reasonable but fair rating. I would definitely like to see more of him performing in more shows around town. Plus he definitely brought like the whole damn crowd with him (in a promoters eyes..that’s a major plus lol). Rello and Verse…..this was my first time seeing the two perform and I’ll be quite honest…it was a average performance, but you could see the potential with them. It’s like when you see a beautiful girl taking all these bathroom facebook pics instead of investing into a real photographer for a real photoshoot. I loved their style, but I think more attention should be put into the whole performance than just your outfit. I think having a Stage Prescence course 101 might do these dudes some justice because they are by far whack rappers, they are actually better than a lot of other rappers in the city. The beats were hot tough I must admit! Now about these A.C.E. dudes lol I’ve always been a fan of a lot of the work that comes out of A.C.E. this time around I’m kind of on the fence with it. With the newest members, DGK and MUVI, added to the rooster I think that with a lot more fine tuning this team will be making even more noise in the music scene and make their mark. Musicwise, one thing that I have noticed is that every song is heavily saturated with 808’s which is cool for the first two tracks of your set…..but every song is not needed. Jaye Royale and Ace’s High were defiantly one of the high points of the night. Never heard of dudes until that night, but they did leave a pretty good impression on me. But one thing that I literally ALWAYS express is a huge pet peeve of mine happened not once….not twice…not three times…but four times in two sets! IF YOUR NOT ON THE TRACK…SUPPORT FROM THE AUDIENCE! You’re not Wu-Tang…there are not 80 dudes in your group….you don’t have back up dancers….you don’t have backup singers. If you have a hype man…cool…if you’re a duo…then be a duo on stage! Having more than 15 people on stage with you at one time equals disasters. Either the equipment gets damaged, everyone is yelling into mics, it distracts the actual artists from performing plus it’s a distraction to the crowd. If I payed $10 to see Jay Royale perform, why must I divide my attention back and forth between him and a drunk dude dougie’in across the stage? Hmmmmmm Anyway, Ill be looking forward to more of their music this summer.

    Now let’s talk about the man of the hour….MR GUMMO himself..Pinpoint plus the whole GHGH team. Now I will say this sidenote….if you have not seen the movie Gummo I strongly suggest you watch it…on a empty stomach though lol The movie is literally as random as random can get and holds no punches with these dirty (no literally dirty as in seeing dirt all over them) kids and their antics. But anyway, Pinpoints performance started and ended on a Gummo note. The random Gorrila and Devil Bunny masks, Gummo skits and all…I honestly enjoyed it. I am not going to get into much detail about the music due to the fact his mixtape review is right below this blog, and really dissects the project song by song. But I will say this…you are in for a for real treat. Talk about putting everything on the line with a beat behind it…smdh. But his performance definitely added to the hype as well. And last but not least…….my ninja is back! QG IS BACK AT IT! *does the happy dance* I think this is one comeback I’ve been waiting on. And believe me it was definitely worth it. Non-Groupie tip though….QG has been one of my favorite rappers for awhile now, and I am so sad to say that this was probably like my 3rd time seeing him perform live smdh. But I enjoyed it…..waiting on his project to drop….hopefully soon (side eye) . But all in the entire event was a huge success. I was definitely very happy and proud to be a sponsor of such a organized fun event. I look forward to a lot more GHGH events during the summer.



>>>SHAMELESS PLUG<<<






DON’T FORGET GHGH OPEN MIC NIGHT!!!!!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment